{{Quickfixn}} Field 35 not found when connecting using FIX.5.0SP2

Grant Birchmeier gbirchmeier at connamara.com
Tue Nov 8 10:51:17 PST 2022

Yeah, SetField is a basic function that's used a million times.

It would be more informative to trace at SendRaw and/or GenerateLogon.  You
can look at the generated Logon message to see if it looks funny with
regard to 35.   (Though I can't imagine why it would.)

-Grant

On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 12:28 PM Francis Gingras <francis at collective2.com>
wrote:

> A recompile using the latest QF source code (sept 8 2022) did not result
> in anything different. I used the stock FIX50SP2.xml. The only major change
> I had to do was to charge OrdType from CharField to StringField to
> accomodate a broker's misuse of the field (they decided to send more than
> one character in tag 40).
>
> I tried to trace QuickFix.FieldMap.SetField but there are 82,000+
> references and VS CodeLens died :-))
>
> Francis
>

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 12:35 PM Francis Gingras <francis at collective2.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes I agree with your observation.
>>
>> I've been using QF for about 15 years and it's a great tool. The last
>> time I recompiled QF 1.10 using the Ruby tool was a year ago to add some
>> custom fields to 4.2.
>>
>> The build works well with < FIX 5.0, but this is the first time I tried
>> 5.0 since 2016. I will rebuild it today to see if I get different behavior
>> and report back.
>>
>> Francis
>>
>> -------------------------
>>
>> (Is QuickFix/n 1.10*.1*.0 a typo?  The latest is just 1.10.0)
>>
>> This is weird.  It looks like this is happening when your app tries to
>> construct and send the logon message to the counterparty.  Do you agree
>> with that observation?
>>
>> If that is correct, then the MessageCracker is not to blame-- it's not even
>> used yet when this error occurs.  If your app doesn't send a Logon, then
>> the counterparty won't send a Logon back or any other messages, so there's
>> nothing to crack.
>>
>> I'm a little stumped as to why this could happen.  This whole process
>> should be happening internally in the engine.  (I'm not even sure how a dev
>> could doink it up with weird app code.)
>>
>> Let me ask around.  Please reply if you get any other ideas.

Connamara Systems, LLC

This email, along with any attachments, is confidential. If you believe you
received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and
delete all copies of the message. Thank you from Connamara Systems, LLC.