{{Quickfixn}} Possible bug in QuickFIX/n?

Grant Birchmeier gbirchmeier at connamara.com
Thu Sep 6 07:48:07 PDT 2012

The proper procedure is to create a github fork and then submit a pull
request with your fix.  Please make sure all existing tests pass and that
your code has tests that confirm that it does what it is supposed to do.
 After review, we will merge it into the mainline.  Let me know if you have
any questions.

Regarding this specific fix, OrigSendingTime isn't marked as required in
the DD.  Where in the QF/n source is the rejection beign triggered?  I
think I agree that a missing OrigSendingTime shouldn't always cause the
message to be rejected.  I assume your fix implements a new Config setting?

Perhaps the most key question now is whether the default config should be
to reject or not reject.

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Thomas Fleming <thomas.fleming at sucfin.com>wrote:

>  Having gone away and done some more research on this, the general
> consensus is that whilst OrigSendingTime is technically required by the FIX
> Session Spec, it is not logical for it to be required and should therefore
> not be a mandatory field. See http://fixprotocol.org/discuss/read/ae47f2f5for a better discussion.
>

> I have coded a work around in Session.cs, effectively a property that sets
> whether this field should be required or not for SequenceReset messages,
> and an if statement in DoPossDup(Message msg).
>

> This seems to be a common issue, therefore I believe this workaround
> should be available in QuickFIX/n. Would anyone have an issue with me
> checking this in to the main repository?
>

> Tom

> *Subject:* Re: {{Quickfixn}} Possible bug in QuickFIX/n?
>

> I have just had a look at the “Sessions Protocol Specification” available
> at http://fixprotocol.org/documents/3070/FIX_Transport_1.1.pdf. I can’t
> see anything that says it isn’t required for admin messages.
>

> The pdf has a test section titled “Test cases applicable to all FIX
> systems”. Test “g” is as follows:
>

> Condition/Stimulus: PossDupFlag set to Y and OrigSendingTime not specified.
>
> Expected Behaviour: Send Reject (session-level) message referencing
> missing OrigSendingTime (>= FIX 4.2:SessionRejectReason = “Required tag
> missing”). Increment inbound MsgSeqNum.
>

> This is what QuickFIX/n presently does.
>

> The only other slightly relevant info is that BARX are sending a Sequence
> Reset (Gap Fill) message i.e. Field 123=Y in the SequenceReset message.
> This still doesn’t seem to change the fact that OrigSendingTime is required.
>

> Tom, how did you resolve your issue with TT? Barx are suggesting that we
> use ValidateIncomingMessage=N, but this would disable all validation, not
> just for the SequenceReset message. Obviously we do not want to do that.
>

> Regards, Tom
>
> www.sucdenfinancial.com
>
> Sucden Financial Limited, Plantation Place South, 60 Great Tower Street,
> London EC3R 5AZ
> Telephone +44 203 207 5000
>
> Registered in England no. 1095841
> VAT registration no. GB 446 9061 33
>
> Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and
> entered in the FSA register under no. 114239
>
> This email, including any files transmitted with it, is confidential and
> may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended
> recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please
> notify *postmaster at sucfin.com* immediately and delete it from your
> computer system.
>
> We believe, but do not warrant, that this email and its attachments are
> virus-free, but you should check.
>

> Sucden Financial Limited may monitor traffic data of both business and
> personal emails. By replying to this email, you consent to Sucden Financial
> 's monitoring the content of any emails you send to or receive from Sucden
> [...]

*Connamara Systems, LLC*
*Made-To-Measure Trading Solutions.*
Exactly what you need. No more. No less.*
*