{{Quickfixn}} FIX Heartbeat Message Not Sent

Rasheed Waraich rashiedwaraich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 04:51:45 PDT 2012

Hi all,

We are using FIX4.3 and QuickFIX/n v1.0.0 for its implementation.

We came across a situation in our production/live environment where we had
subscribed for Market Data and were successfully receiving Snapshot
messages then suddenly all communication with the Market Session stopped
and we didn't receive any more snapshots from the server on the Market Data
Session.

When we asked the support they said that they didn't receive any heartbeat
from our end so they closed the connection.

When we look at our FIX log files we see that time between our last
heartbeat and the last snapshot from the server is under 60 seconds. And we
didn't receive any logout message from the server either.

Also during all this time the Order Session stayed connected with proper
heartbeat message.

*Our Questions are: *
Q1: What might have caused the system to not send out a Heartbeat message?
Q2: Is it normal for the server to close connection on missing 1 heartbeat
message? My understanding was that in case there is no heartbeat from the
client, server will send a test request.
Q3: Using QuickFIX/n how can i ensure my periodic heartbeat message?
Q4: Whats the best time interval for heartbeat? (Mine is currently set to
60 seconds)
Q5: How can we diagnose to figure out the root cause of this issue?

Thanks,

--
//Regards
Rasheed