{{Quickfixn}} revised .gitattributes file in project repo

Grant Birchmeier gbirchmeier at connamara.com
Mon Nov 20 11:25:06 PST 2023

This message is for anyone hacking on QF/n itself:

During my recent DDTool work, I also revised the .gitattributes file.

QF/n is truly cross-platform -- it might surprise some of you to know that
I've been developing it mostly on a Mac for the past few years (though I do
have a windows machine for checking things).  If you have ever worked on a
project that has both Windows and Unix users, you've surely known the "fun"
of mixing newline styles.

Until this weekend, the .gitattributes file had specified the various
cs/csproj/sln files and some others as using windows newlines ("crlf").
I've changed this so now they are just "text" (as opposed to binary).  The
repo will now store text files in Unix newlines ("lf"), but your local
repo will use your system-native newlines.

If you clone the repo anew, you won't notice anything.  It will seem normal
as ever.

If you update an existing repo, then you might see mixed-line-ending
messages, because git does NOT re-normalize your local repo.  I've
experimented with this change on both platforms:

   - Windows users: your files were already crlf, and changes you make will
   keep using crlf, so you probably won't notice anything.
   - Unix users: your files were crlf, and new changes you make will
   probably add lf-without-cr, so you might see the git warnings.

As I said earlier, even if you do see warnings, all text-file commits will
save only "lf" endings to the repo, so your PRs should be fine.  If you're
seeing the warnings and want to get past them once and for all, just
re-clone your repo, and that should do it.

-Grant

gbirchmeier at connamara.com