{{Quickfixn}} FW: Execution report not coming for few trades

Lanfranco Morini Lanfranco.Morini at cegeka.it
Wed Sep 2 03:20:50 PDT 2020

Hi Rajkumar,
I’m quite sure that no bugs are affecting your QuickFIX/n.

I can add some further considerations to this premise (which surely will not be exhaustive)

  1.  A Logon message with 141=Y during the trading day is very dangerous: after this kind of logon, you (and your counterparty) “lose” every application message sent before (read: a resend request for some execution reports exchanged before the new logon will not returns anything, because both of FIX Engines erase every sequence numbers and their related messages)
  2.  From the messages log that you sent (even if partial), it can be deducted that the disconnection comes from a network failure (no test request, nor logout messages are in your log)
  3.  FXALL seems to have some problem in managing your messages, in fact they sent a test request (35=1) at 20200828-13:29:53.409 (you registered it at 20200828-13:30:15.911) even if you sent a previous message at 52=20200828-13:29:57.833 (less than 60 seconds configured as HeartBeat interval)
     *   Another alternative can be that there are some latency on the network (it can also cause a forced closure of the network connection between you and FXALL): this can be deducted looking at the timestamp differences in several messages

example

20200828-13:28:42.130 : 8=FIX.4.4  9=74  35=A  34=1  49=xxxxxxx  52=20200828-13:28:42.130  56=FXALL  98=0  108=60  141=Y  10=200

20200828-13:28:43.005 : 8=FIX.4.4  9=74  35=A  49=FXALL  56=xxxxxxx  34=1  52=20200828-13:28:42.963  108=60  141=Y  98=0  10=214

From this two logon message we can note that comparing tag 52 timestamp and the log time stamp (written before the message) you received the FXALL message at least after 42ms they sent it 13:28:43.963 vs. 13:28:43.005

But if we look at the test request sent by FXALL you received it after 22 seconds they sent it

20200828-13:30:15.911 : 8=FIX.4.4  9=78  35=1  49=FXALL  56=xxxxxxx  34=8  52=20200828-13:29:53.409  112=20200828-13:29:53  10=198

We can say that changing the 141=1 settings can help to better understand what is causing the disconnection and probably the loss of messages, in fact without a forced sequence reset during logon, an automatic alignment of the lost messages should happen after logon…

Last but not least: if FXALL is sure that they sent the execution reports that you miss, they should be able to provide you their MsgSeqNum: in this case you are able to look for them in your log and verifiy if really lost themo or if they never arrived\never been sent

I wait for your feedback related to my considerations,

Best regards,
Lanfranco