{{Quickfixn}} IndicationOfInterest - IOIid error

Wayne Kaplan wkaplan at financialnortheastern.com
Tue Feb 11 11:48:32 PST 2020

Thanks for the info.
I’ll try your suggestions

Thanks again

Wayne

Wayne Kaplan

Senior Software Developer

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D5E0EA.5413A3C0]
100 Passaic Avenue

973-396-1057 Direct

Fairfield, NJ 07004

866-855-1504 Fax

800-362-9876 x1205

wkaplan at financialnortheastern.com

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D5E0EA.5413A3C0]
www.financialnortheastern.com<http://www.financialnortheastern.com/>

From: Quickfixn [mailto:quickfixn-bounces at lists.quickfixn.com] On Behalf Of Grant Birchmeier
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 11:29 AM
To: Mailing list for QuickFIX/n <quickfixn at lists.quickfixn.com>
Subject: Re: {{Quickfixn}} IndicationOfInterest - IOIid error

Ok, I see what your problem is, and there's a few things going on here.

1) You didn't say what FIX version you're supposed to be using.  I suspect you're trying to add a FIX42 field to a FIX44 message or something.  Can you write code using fully-qualified types, e.g. Quickfix.FIX42.IndicationOfInterest() ?

2) Differences between FIX versions: In FIX4x, the message type is "IndicationOfInterest" in our current builds.  In FIX5+, it's "IOI".  (I see that in the current FIXimate, it's "IOI" in all versions.  I'm not sure why it's different in QF/n; I wonder if they back-changed it in FIX4x when they released FIX5.  Strange.)

Anyway, if you're using FIX42, it's "IndicationOfInterest", and field 27 is "IOIShares".
If you're FIX44, it's "IndicationOfInterest", and field 27 is "IOIQty".
If you're FIX50+, it's "IOI", and field 27 is "IOIQty".

3) Be aware of custom data dictionaries: Every counterparty is going to fiddle with the data dictionary, and yours probably will too.  QF/n's message/field classes are generated from the default DataDictionary.  To handle customizations, you'll need to familiarize yourself with the generic field getter/setters (such as I described in my previous response), or regenerate code and make your own QF/n build.

Regardless, you'll also need to edit your FIXnn.xml DataDictionary file to match your counterparty's customizations.  (Check their spec.)  The QF/n engine will reject messages that don't conform to the DD that it is configured with.

4) I have a feeling I’m going to have to use a different FIX engine.  Hey, do what you have to do.  But QF/n is a good and proven engine, and at the moment, it seems some of your issues are due more to being new to FIX than the quirks of the engine.  (Oh-- and also due to your using VB.  In like 7 years, this is probably only the 3rd time I've fielded a question from someone using VB!)

-Grant