{{Quickfixn}} how to get all messages again on restart of application

Mike Gatny mgatny at connamara.com
Thu Mar 23 19:47:32 PDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 1:45 PM, Kunal CHANGELA <
kunal.changela at us.bnpparibas.com> wrote:

> I am trying to find the best way to re-request all the messages for the
> day.

If you want to re-request them at the SESSION level, and the session's
seqnums reset daily, reset your next expected target seqnum to 1.  Do this
while your app is not running.  E.g. if you are using the FileStore, you do
this in the .seqnums file.  If you are using a database store, then you do
this by fiddling with the database.  When you restart your app, the
built-in ResendRequest behavior will kick in and cause all msgs from seqnum
1 onward to be re-requested.

If you want to re-request them at the APPLICATION level, and the
application level supports this, then do that instead.  TCRs are a good
example... you can typically specify criteria for which reports you want,
e.g. by date.

> I have seen on some forums that you could set: ResetSeqNum=Y in the config
> file?

Is this a good way to achieve this?

If you are going to use the SESSION level to re-request msgs, don't use
this, or any other SessionSetting that starts with "Reset" -- it will do
the exact opposite of what you seem to be trying to do.

> Or should I try a resend request specifying seq nums I want to start and
> end?

No, never send a ResendRequest or any other session-level (admin) message
yourself.  QuickFIX handles all of this for you.  If you want to trigger
this behavior, manipulate the seqnums as described above -- the method
above works with QuickFIX's (and FIX protocol's) built-in recovery
mechanism.

--
Mike Gatny
Connamara Systems, LLC