{{Quickfixn}} Why is Symbol (55) a required tag of Position Report (AP)?

Stan stan.quickfixn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 23:44:45 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I've been getting a "required tag missing" error on receipt of Position
Report (AP) messages. The required tag is apparently Symbol (55).

I took a look at FIX44.xml. The description for Position Report does not
contain Symbol. Yet the QuickFix.FIX44.PositionReport class has Symbol as a
property. I don't use tag 55 in my AP messages. And it seems it is not a
required tag according to the standard.

Is this a bug in QuickFix/n? How can I get around this?

   - Regenerating the code in QuickFixn/Message/FIX44/PositionReport.cs
   produced the same code that has Symbol as a property.
   - Adding <field name="Symbol" required="N"> into FIX44.xml did not help
   either.

Note: QuickFix/n happily sends out AP messages without tag 55.

Regards,