{{Quickfixn}} Encrypted messages

Oleg Vojvodić oleg at stinga.hr
Thu Jun 14 02:06:06 PDT 2012

Well, I am not sure what exactly I need. I’m still learning. But I think we do not need a secure connection, just encrypted FIX messages.

We are a small company and one of our customers wants a FIX connection with Bloomberg. BTW, do you know if there are any QuickFixN implementations that work with Bloomberg.

Bloomberg support is not very helpful. The best what I could learn from them is this statement:

"When you send a FIX logon message it should be encrypted using our certificate."

Fix specification has very little information about encryption and I could not find the field it mentions (SecureData) in QuickFix source.

So I guess, my question is, is it common (or possible) to use SSL to encrypt messages and send them over unencrypted connection. Or did I just completely misunderstand what Bloomberg support is telling me.

Thanks,
Oleg